Our pricing for bringing and defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal
Simple case: £4000-£6000 (excluding 20% VAT)
Medium complexity case: £6000-£8000 (excluding 20% VAT)
High complexity case: £8000-£15,000 (excluding 20% VAT)
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of £1000 per day (excluding 20% VAT). Generally, we would allow 1-5 days depending on the complexity of your case.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel’s fees estimated between £1000 to £2000 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation)
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 2-4 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 30-52 weeks. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
How does an Employment Tribunal work?
PLEASE NOTE: You only have 3 months from the date of dismissal, or the date the unfair treatment last occurred, to apply for a tribunal hearing.
Employment tribunals consist of a panel that includes an employment judge and two people who aren’t from a legal background, but who have business experience. Tribunals are used to address a wide variety of employment disputes from pay and workplace discrimination, to unfair dismissals. Witnesses for both the employee and employer can provide supporting evidence at the hearing. Then, once all the evidence has been presented, the panel will reach a decision, which is legally binding.
How we can support you through the legal process
BRR Law can guide you through this whole legal process. We’ll go through clarify how your case is best presented and make sure you’re fully prepared for the hearing, from compiling comprehensive documentation to obtaining witness statements. We’ll go through all of your options with you right from the beginning and ensure you receive a fair representation throughout. You’ll understand what is happening every step of the way and we’ll work with you to provide the best course of action for your individual circumstances.
We can explain in plain English, and without legal jargon, how the law protects you, the likely costs in accordance with our Clear Price Guarantee, realistic timescales and achievable outcomes.
We offer a same-day response and a Free Initial Assessment promise to our clients. So, why not give us a call today on 01724 854000 to discuss your requirements in complete confidence.