If you applied to register a lasting or enduring power of attorney, between April 1st 2013, and 31st March 2017 and you paid an application fee to the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), you could be due a refund. Here’s what you need to know.

During this time period, the Office of the Public Guardian’s (OPG) operating costs came down as more people applied to register a power of attorney, but the application fee charged was not reduced in line with this.

As a result, in February 2018, The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) launched a scheme to refund those who may have paid more than they should have when applying to register powers of attorney.

Unfortunately, Quality Solicitors Bradbury Roberts & Raby are not able to claim on your behalf. To make the claim, you must be;

  • the ‘donor’ – the person who made the power of attorney
  • an ‘attorney’ – appointed by the donor in an LPA or EPA to make decisions on their behalf

On top of this, you must claim your refund by 31st January 2021, and you can only claim a refund if you made the power of attorney in England or Wales.

The Ministry of Justice have set up an online portal where you can claim quickly and easily. All you’ll need is the donor’s UK bank number and sort code, along with a copy of the LPA.

Making a claim is quick and simple using the online service. Only one form needs to be completed for each donor and the OPG will find all power of attorney application fees paid by the donor during the qualifying period

However, if you have trouble with the online portal, or need further assistance, please contact the Refunds Helpline.


Refunds Helpline

Email: poarefunds@justice.gsi.gov.uk

Telephone: 0300 456 0300 (choose option 6)

Textphone: 0115 934 2778

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am to 5pm

Wednesday 10am to 5pm


Here are the other need-to-knows:

  • You only need to make one claim for each donor – even if you’ve made multiple Powers of Attorney.
  • It can take up to 12 weeks for your claim to be processed and paid.
  • If the donor has died you can still claim but you will need:
  1. Their death certificate
  2. A grant of representation (such as a grant of probate or letters of administration) or a will


You can email these, along with your contact details, to poarefunds@justice.gsi.gov.uk, or send them by post to POA Refunds Team, 7th floor, Office of the Public Guardian. PO Box 16185, Birmingham, B2 2WH.

Once you’ve sent the documents you’ll receive a call from the refunds team.

For any other questions, or further advice, please visit the government’s guide linked below:- https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney-refund